On October 6, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine supported in the second reading and as a whole the project of the Law of Ukraine "On Amendments to the Law of Ukraine "On the State Budget of Ukraine for 2023" Regarding Financial Support of the Security and Defense Sector and Resolution of Priority Issues". In particular, the Ministry of Strategic Industries will receive an additional ₴4.4 billion for the implementation of defense industry development programs.
During his presentation to the Verkhovna Rada, Minister of Finance of Ukraine Serhii Marchenko emphasized that making changes to the Budget for 2023 is critically important:
"The additional resource in the amount of more than ₴300 billion, which is planned to be directed to the military campaign, is the result of the support of businesses, taxpayers and the placement of military bonds. Not one dollar/euro of international aid can go to the military. Therefore, changes to the state budget are extremely necessary because the military needs funds right now. The volume of additional expenditures will ensure financing of the critically necessary needs of security forces", said the Minister of Finance of Ukraine, Serhii Marchenko.
As a result, spending on the security and defense sector will be increased by ₴302.6 billion, of which:
• ₴224.5 billion – funds for the payment of monetary support for military personnel,
• ₴78.1 billion – expenses for the purchase of special equipment, military equipment, and provision of food for the military, payment of utility services and other necessary expenses.
Expenditures for the Ministry of Defense increase by ₴211 billion, for the Ministry of Internal Affairs - by ₴79.2 billion, for the Security Service - by ₴4.2 billion, for the Main Intelligence Directorate of the Ministry of Defense - by ₴2.5 billion, for the Foreign Intelligence Service - by ₴0.5 billion, for the Department of State Security - for ₴0.2 billion and the Ministry of Strategic Industries - for 4.4 billion for the implementation of programs for the development of the defense industry, the State Special Communications Administration - ₴0.6 billion.
Funding for other priority areas is also provided for:
• material and technical equipment of the newly created units of the National Guard, the State Border Service, and the National Police,
• provision of social payments to internally displaced persons (₴16.5 billion planned),
• for the needs of the educational sector, in particular for the purchase of textbooks (₴552.8 million).